Founded in 756, Enjo-ji is situated in the hills north of Nara and well known for its superb statue of Dainichi Nyorai carved by Unkei in 1176.
Front gate of Enjoji and Heian-era pond.
The temple pond is all that remains of a Heian-era paradise garden, but the hondo was built in the Muromachi period and two shrines in the grounds, Kasuga-do and Hakusan-do, date to 1228. The lower section of the Takisaka no Michi walk begins opposite the pond.
Pond seen from the main gate.
Dainichi Nyorai carved by Unkei.
Small hall near the hondo.
Kasugado and Hakusando shrines.